Trango Trail Day Wrap-up!
11 May 2015
On Saturday, May 2, dozens of volunteers gathered in the PMRP for a Trango-sponsored trail day, with the main focus being to rehabilitate one of our most well-loved crags, The Shire. Trango provided the materials and even brought swag for the workers! After a brief information session headed by RRGCC Land Manager Mike Driskell, the volunteers headed off to their respective work areas.
A small team tackled the repair of the Sore Heel shortcut bridge, which had been split in two in the recent flooding. They spent all day salvaging parts from the old bridge and putting together a new (higher!) bridge.
Further up the trail, another group worked on reinforcing the Sore Heel shortcut trail, repairing a small footbridge and armoring the trail to better handle flooding.
At The Shire, the bulk of the volunteers busily worked on completely re-doing the base. The old terracing, which was badly deteriorated, was torn out. New, more stable terracing was put in place using treated lumber the volunteers hauled up from the parking lot. The shortcut trail that bypassed the main trail and headed straight up the hillside was closed and covered up. A new trail that will better handle wash-out was put in, complete with stone steps to minimize erosion’s affect on the trail. By the end of the day, it looked like a brand-new crag!
We also got to meet the kind EKU professors who are doing the RRG Economic Impact Study, as they kicked off their Spring in-person data collection phase on the same day!
We owe a huge thanks to Trango for sponsoring the trail day and providing the materials, to Rob Moore for all of the time and effort he dedicated to the planning and execution, and to Miguel’s for supplying lunch to the hungry volunteers!
Our work, however, is not done! We have another Trango Trail Day on Saturday, May 16 to finish the work at The Shire. We need your help to make this happen! Please RSVP at: rrgcc.org/upcoming-trail-days/
- 23 Oct 2016 - Rocktoberfest 2016 Wrap-Up
- 16 Aug 2016 - 20th Anniversary Recurring Donation Promotion
- 09 Aug 2016 - 2016 Johnny and Alex Trail Day Write-up
- 22 Jun 2016 - Sixth For A Cause
- 20 May 2016 - Rocktoberfest - New Location
- 03 May 2016 - Bald Rock Fork Road Speed Limit
- 13 Apr 2016 - Red River Reunion 2016 Recap
- 08 Mar 2016 - Economic Impact of Rock Climbing in the Red River Gorge
- 29 Jan 2016 - The Red River Reunion Climbing Competition Returns!
- 08 Jan 2016 - Proposed White Haired Goldenrod Delisting Ceremony Attended by RRGCC
- 04 Jan 2016 - RRGCC Climbers That Care 2015
- 26 Dec 2015 - Recent Changes in the MFRP …Older Posts