2013 Spring Trail Day Recap
by Mike Driskell, RRGCC Land Manager
17 April 2013
We came, we saw, we did stuff.
The trail day this last Saturday was a big success! We had 30 people attend what was a beautiful day out. I'm not much of a writer but our accomplishments are worth writing about.
Dave Jasperson led a crew moving the bridge on the trail off the Motherlode parking area to a more sustainable location. It turned out awesome and should last years to come!
Josh O'Bryan led a crew installing culverts on sections of the trail off the Sore Heel parking area to divert water from coming off the trail and the road.
Jesse Sterr and Josephine Neff led the crew spreading gravel. We had some delivered to the Coal Bank area to help with the holes until the road crew can begin work. We also had some delivered to the Sore Heel area to try and improve conditions on the hill. We also dropped a load in the Sore Heel parking to fill in the muddy areas and expand the parking some.
Peter McDermott led the crew that was cutting trees in preparation for the Flat Holler parking area – hopefully to be open by June of this year.
THE BIG PROJECT OF THE DAY – led By Paul Morley, Stephanie Meadows, and Travis Peek
Image courtesy of Travis Peek
The last creek crossing on the way to the Darkside was composed of 3 very slick logs. Paul Morley and Stephanie Meadows donated the material, planed the project, and saw to its execution. Accompanied by the RRGCC Assistant Land Manager Travis Peek and a very capable crew, they produced a fantastic bridge that far outclasses the joke of a crossing we had before!
We also began repairs to the gate leading to the Darkside. I ran out of time, but will have it wrapped up this weekend. If you can lend a hand, gimme a call: 5024178902
Good things happened and it could not have been done without your help! It's the people who made things happen that we owe our thanks to.
THANKS TO YOU ALL:
- Peter McDermott
- Eleanor Krause
- Andrew Bundy
- Amelia Bryant
- Jereme Ransick
- Travis Long
- Josh O’Bryan
- Bill Strachan (RRGCC Executive Director)
- Dave “the Animal” Jasperson
- Tim Fraser
- Will Sweeney
- Sally Minges
- Pat Marrinan
- Tim Black
- Grant Sperry
- Chuff-on-John Sites
- Dan Chandler
- Michael Miller
- Angela Cecil
- Brent Dupree
- David King (RRGCC BOD Member)
- Many Hostetlu
- Sarah Brengosz
- Amy Schneider
- Benton Mcdaris
- Sara Liles
- Logan T Smith
- Quinn Hill
- Josephine Neff (RRGCC BOD Secretary)
- Curtis Gayle Dyer
- (Sorry if I left anyone out or butchered your name)
- 23 Oct 2016 - Rocktoberfest 2016 Wrap-Up
- 16 Aug 2016 - 20th Anniversary Recurring Donation Promotion
- 09 Aug 2016 - 2016 Johnny and Alex Trail Day Write-up
- 22 Jun 2016 - Sixth For A Cause
- 20 May 2016 - Rocktoberfest - New Location
- 03 May 2016 - Bald Rock Fork Road Speed Limit
- 13 Apr 2016 - Red River Reunion 2016 Recap
- 08 Mar 2016 - Economic Impact of Rock Climbing in the Red River Gorge
- 29 Jan 2016 - The Red River Reunion Climbing Competition Returns!
- 08 Jan 2016 - Proposed White Haired Goldenrod Delisting Ceremony Attended by RRGCC
- 04 Jan 2016 - RRGCC Climbers That Care 2015
- 26 Dec 2015 - Recent Changes in the MFRP …Older Posts