Rocktoberfest 2013 Summary
22 October 2013
The RRGCC is pleased to announce that Rocktoberfest 2013 was our most successful event yet, and it's all thanks to you! The weekend of Oct 11–13 marked the RRGCC's annual Rocktoberfest, and nearly 1,000 people from all over the map joined us to climb, arm-wrestle, crate-stack, win swag, hang out with vendors, and raise money for the RRGCC!
Based on the money raised during Rocktoberfest, we will be able to pay the first year's mortgage payment for our latest acquisition, the Miller Fork Recreational Preserve (MFRP). In addition, we will be able to continue to improve existing and new trail and parking infrastructure.
The RRGCC was also excited to announce that we are one of the recipients of the American Alpine Club's 2013 Cornerstone Conservation Grant. The AAC will award the RRGCC $5,500 to improve the infrastructure of your land, including roads, parking areas and approach trails.
Of course, we had lots of fun raising all that money! There were raffles and competitions and lucky attendees walked away loaded with swag. The winners of Black Diamond's 2013 Clip 'n' Go Comp were Adam Taylor with 559 points and Sarah Brengosz with 179 points. Team "Individual" won the team competition with 1012 points. Prizes were provided by Black Diamond and Sterling Rope. The winners of crate stacking, sponsored by Bluegrass Bouldering and J & H Lanmark, were Matt Owen with 22 crates and Jen Metalko with 21 crates.
Keeping the crowd entertained throughout the night were Kris Hampton, who emceed the event, the Mike Creech Band, who made Rocktoberfest a true Kentucky celebration by providing some home-grown bluegrass music, and Miguel's Pizza, who gave attendees a second wind by providing pizzas as a late-night snack. We'd also like to thank Elodie Saracco of Elodie Saracco PhotoGraphic for documenting the event.
Last, but certainly not least, the RRGCC would like to give a special shout-out to all the volunteers who made this event possible, and to our wonderful sponsors: Outdoor Research, Black Diamond, Petzl, Patagonia, Marmot, Keen, Sportiva, BlueWater, Scarpa, Belay Specs, 5.10, Quest Outdoors, Moose Jaw, Mountain Gear, Evolv, Trango, Metolius, Ale8One, Sterling Ropes, Benchmark Outfitters, J&H Lanmark, Bluegrass Bouldering, The North Face, SoIll, Tenaya, Miguel’s Pizza, Red River Outdoors, The Power Company, Fox Mountain Guides, Driskell Home Repair, Whole Foods, Warrior's Way, and MtnRanks.
Check out a photo essay of the event here!
- 23 Oct 2016 - Rocktoberfest 2016 Wrap-Up
- 16 Aug 2016 - 20th Anniversary Recurring Donation Promotion
- 09 Aug 2016 - 2016 Johnny and Alex Trail Day Write-up
- 22 Jun 2016 - Sixth For A Cause
- 20 May 2016 - Rocktoberfest - New Location
- 03 May 2016 - Bald Rock Fork Road Speed Limit
- 13 Apr 2016 - Red River Reunion 2016 Recap
- 08 Mar 2016 - Economic Impact of Rock Climbing in the Red River Gorge
- 29 Jan 2016 - The Red River Reunion Climbing Competition Returns!
- 08 Jan 2016 - Proposed White Haired Goldenrod Delisting Ceremony Attended by RRGCC
- 04 Jan 2016 - RRGCC Climbers That Care 2015
- 26 Dec 2015 - Recent Changes in the MFRP …Older Posts