Train the Trainer, Land Stewardship Weekend
by Mike Driskell
19 July 2015
August 22/23, 2015
The purpose of this class is to seek out those interested individuals who want to be active land stewards for the RRGCC and lead trail days, develop trail systems, and participate in the overall management of RRGCC lands. Upon completion of the first day, participants will be able to plan and lead trail days either with supervision or, ideally, on their own. Upon completion of the second day, participants will be able to layout new trails systems and either assist in or execute the building of those trails.
Saturday 9am – 12pm - Morning class (Lago Linda's Shakeout Lounge)
Will consist of:
- An introduction
- Short video on trail building
- Classroom discussion on common problems and what we typically do to solve them
- Safety aspects of trail days
- Planning and execution trail days
- Tools and their use
- Common trail "no no"s
- Trail building techniques
- Water mitigation
- Repair and solutions to problem areas
- Bridge building
- Belay bases
- "The enemy" – Water
- Flora and fauna to watch for
- Much more!
Saturday 1pm – 5pm — Afternoon session (outside at the MFRP)
Will consist of:
- Hands on trail building
- Review examples of good trails, and bad trails
- Discuss elements of trail building learned indoors
- Ideally, cut some trails
Saturday evening – Optional 7pm – 10pm?
I'll host a get together at my place, with cold beverages and burgers. Driskell Home Repair will be feeding you. Discussions on the day's lessons and an information exchange among participants (brainstorming session, our chance to hear what YOU think, this is very important).
You are welcome to stay the night, I enjoy the company, but space is limited, chairs, sleeping bags, ground pads and tents (if it's raining) are recommended.
Sunday – Optional 9am- 3pm?
- Meet and greet in MFRP parking and short review of Saturday's trail layout basics
- Layout new trails discussing the "how"s and "why"s of our path
- Micro ecosystems and how to avoid them
- Trees species, intro into tree cutting selections – what to save and why
- HWA identification and education
- 05 Jun 2017 - Conservation Alliance Grant
- 11 Jan 2017 - Red River Gorge Climbers' Coalition Teams up with Access Fund to Secure Access to the Motherlode
- 23 Oct 2016 - Rocktoberfest 2016 Wrap-Up
- 16 Aug 2016 - 20th Anniversary Recurring Donation Promotion
- 09 Aug 2016 - 2016 Johnny and Alex Trail Day Write-up
- 22 Jun 2016 - Sixth For A Cause …Older Posts