RRGCC Acts as Translators Between Climbers and Emergency Personnel
by Rick Bost
22 October 2010
Lee County Judge Executive Studies the Red River Gorge guidebook
In April 2010, the Red River Gorge climbing community experienced a fatal tragedy at the Pendergrass-Murray Recreational Preserve (PMRP). When the accident happened, climbers had a difficult time contacting and communicating their location to the rescue personnel. While the Red River Gorge Climbers' Coalition (RRGCC) cannot take the danger out of our beloved sport, we are making efforts to assist in communication between climbers and the emergency personnel who are tasked with saving us in unfortunate situations.
Climbing in the Red River Gorge spans over four different counties in eastern Kentucky: Lee, Powell, Wolfe and Menifee. In Lee County resides the PMRP, owned by the RRGCC and the nearby privately owned Mother Lode, both of which are popular destinations for climbers. Both areas boast over 20 different crags and hundreds of routes, including Red River classics such as Whip-Stocking (11a), Mosaic (12c) and B.O.H.I.C.A. (13b). Unfortunately most climbers are not aware of their whereabouts when they go climbing. They merely follow guidebook directions.
- 16 Aug 2016 - 20th Anniversary Recurring Donation Promotion
- 09 Aug 2016 - 2016 Johnny and Alex Trail Day Write-up
- 22 Jun 2016 - Sixth For A Cause
- 20 May 2016 - Rocktoberfest - New Location
- 03 May 2016 - Bald Rock Fork Road Speed Limit
- 13 Apr 2016 - Red River Reunion 2016 Recap
- 08 Mar 2016 - Economic Impact of Rock Climbing in the Red River Gorge
- 29 Jan 2016 - The Red River Reunion Climbing Competition Returns!
- 08 Jan 2016 - Proposed White Haired Goldenrod Delisting Ceremony Attended by RRGCC
- 04 Jan 2016 - RRGCC Climbers That Care 2015
- 26 Dec 2015 - Recent Changes in the MFRP
- 30 Nov 2015 - Climbers That Care 2015 …Older Posts