What will you do in an emergency? Who will you call?
by Rick Bost
11 October 2010
Drive By Emergency Tube
As climbers we put ourselves in a dangerous position. We rely on ourselves, our equipment, and our climbing partner each and every time we climb. We don't expect bad things to happen, however sometime accidents happen. A few months ago our community experienced a tragedy at the Darkside.
The night of the accident I had a chance to talk with climbers that were at the cliff that day. Through our discussions, I felt pain of my friends, as we searched for the why.
That night everyone was shaken, but I asked questions looking for ways that the RRGCC could help. There is little that the RRGCC can do to prevent accidents. When I asked what could have been better, here is what they said:
- “We did not know who to call or what the phone number was
- We did not know what county we were in
- Even though we sent a runner out to meet the ambulance, they missed each other
- We did not know how to explain to the Rescue Squad where we were in terms that they understood
- The Rescue Squad did not know where the Darkside was…”